First Church’s annual Fall Kick-off Picnic is Sunday, Sept. 10 at the Adventure Zone Playground in Enola from 3:30 to 7:00 p.m. A pot-luck supper will be held at 5:00 p.m., followed by outdoor worship at 6:00 p.m.
All are welcome! Please bring a side dish and/or dessert to share. Also, bring your own place settings and lawn chairs.
For more information, call or e-mail the church at (717) 766-4611 or email@example.com.
Regular Sunday School classes resume on Sept. 10. Sunday School runs from 9:30 to 10:30 a.m.
Walk-in visitors and new class members are always welcome in all classes! Here are the options for adults:
• FAITH IN EVERYDAY LIFE – A group of singles and couples age 25ish and above. A discussion-based class that values friendship, sometimes getting together outside of class. Will be studying The Case for Christ in Fellowship Hall.
• FAITHFUL FAMILIES – This class is made up of parents who are in the child-raising stage of life, and who enjoy discussion-based Bible studies related to living a faithful, Christ-centered life. Will be studying The Case for Christ in Fellowship Hall.
• CHRISTIAN FELLOWSHIP – A multi-generational adult class that selects short-term studies which generate challenging discussion of Christian principles. Meets in room 223.
• GROWING IN CHRIST – A mixed class of single adults and couples of all ages that select short-term studies intended to challenge thinking and create fruitful conversation of Christian principles. Will be studying The Case for Christ in Fellowship Hall.
• GUYER CLASS – A well-established group of elders in the church who study the United Methodist Quarterly Adult Bible Studies, which are designed as encouragement and instruction in living a life of faith. Meets in room 123.
• HELPING HANDS – A group of active seniors who focus on studies designed as encouragement and instruction on living a life of faith. Interactive studies and discussions are led by several class members. Also, class members enjoy many Christian social activities together. Meets in room 105.
First Church’s new Assistant Pastor, Rev. John Shellenberger, begins on Sept. 10, and he would love to spend some time getting to know you! He is offering a four-week “lunch and devotion time” as a part of The Case for Christ study beginning Sept. 14. It will be held at the West Main Family Restaurant in Mechanicsburg from noon to 1:30 p.m. If you are interested in participating, please sign up for this group at The Case for Christ display in the main lobby at church. Lunch is “Dutch-treat”.
Contact Tina Eaton at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 766-4611, extension 104 if you have any questions or would like more information.
Our men’s group, the Men of First Church, will take a break from normal meeting times during September to participate in The Case for Christ study. All men (and their significant others) are invited to participate in this special study group on Thursday evenings from 7:00 to 8:00, beginning Sept. 14 at the church in room B005. Please sign up for this group at The Case for Christ display in the main lobby.
New Men’s Group members are always welcome! For more information, call or e-mail First Church at (717) 766-4611 or email@example.com.
What a tremendous experience awaits you as you study the book of Romans! Join us as we study this letter from Paul, which is called the “Master Key” to understanding the New Testament and Christian life. Your heart will be humbled as the majesty of God’s redemptive work is laid before you.
This 14-week study begins on Aug. 31. Classes are offered in the mornings from 9:00 to 11:00, or in the evening from 6:45 to 8:45. The cost of the workbook for this inductive Bible study (by Precept Ministries International) is $25.
Please sign up in the main lobby at church, or contact the church office at (717) 766-4611 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Did you know that through Moms in Prayer International, thousands of mothers around the world gather to passionately pray for the lives of their children in more than 140 countries? The impact on children, their teachers and their schools is profound, and it is life-changing for the mothers who pray as well.
First Church hosts a Moms in Prayer group. This group will resume meeting on Aug. 21. The group meets on Monday evenings from 6:00 – 7:00 p.m in the new Tower Meeting Room (formerly the children’s library).
All mothers are invited, and no prayer experience is required. Your child can be any age and at any stage of life. All prayer requests remain private within the group.
Please contact Tina Eaton at email@example.com or (717) 766-4611, extension 104 if you have questions or would like to participate. You can also check out momsinprayer.org for more information or to find another group that fits your schedule.
Wednesday, Sept. 27 is See You At The Pole day. At 7:00 a.m., students across the nation and around their world will voluntarily gather around the flagpole at their schools, both public and private, to pray for their school, friends, families, classmates, teachers, churches and communities. Inquire with your church or child’s school for information on local events, or arrange your own See You At The Pole event!
Don’t miss the seventh annual Bless Our Schools Sunday, being observed at First United Methodist Church during the 8:15 and 10:45 a.m. worship services on September 17, 2017.
Every year on the third Sunday in September, churches around the world take special time to pray specifically for the schools, teachers, staff, and students in their congregation.
As a result, students and staff feel bolstered in prayer and ready to stand firm in Christ. In addition, parents who are unfamiliar with Moms in Prayer discover a powerful way to impact the lives of their children and schools.
For more information, call or e-mail Tina Eaton at 766-4611, extension 104 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Children ages three through sixth grade and their families are invited to attend the fall session of the Wonderful Wednesday family fellowship program.
Non-church members are welcome to attend, but all participants must be pre-registered. The cost is $15 per child, per semester, which includes meals. Click here to download a registration form.
For more information, call or e-mail the church office at (717) 766-4611 or email@example.com.
First Church will again host Third Friday Food Truck Feast on Friday, August 18 from 5 to 9 p.m.
The following trucks will be pulling into the church parking lot: MAD Sandwiches, The Chicken Truck, Mad Dash, Nomad Cuisine, Up in Smoke BBQ, Bountiful Feast, The Sweet Spot and Ice Cream Express. In addition to good food, the event offers a fun time to meet and socialize with other community members.
The Third Friday Food Truck Feast relocated from Harrisburg to the West Shore this summer.